Application for those individuals in need of a new passport, you will need to complete the DS-11 application. There are several circumstances where one would need a new passport:
- First time applying for a passport
- Renewing a passport for a child under the age of 15
- Replacing a lost or stolen passport
- Replacing a passport that has been expired for more than five years
If any of these circumstances apply to you, then you will need to fill out a new passport application form otherwise known as form DS-11. The first step to applying for a new passport is to gather the necessary documentation.
STEP 1 - ONLINE APPLICATION.
Must complete the DS-11 and it must be completed online, it cannot be handwritten. Please print out application, sign and date with blue pen.
STEP 2 - PROOF OF US CITIZENSHIP
- Certified birth certificate (Long form not abstract)
- Consulate Report of Birth Abroad Certificate
- Naturalization Certificate
- A certified copy of birth has the registrar's raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal.
- The long form birth certificates must have the full names of the applicants parents, if not pleasesee New Requirements for US Birth Certificates .
- If you do not meet the requirements view Secondary Evidence of US Citizenship .
- To order a Certified copy of your birth certificate Click here
STEP 3 - PROOF OF IDENTIFICATION
- Valid Drivers License
- Valid State or Government Identification
- Valid Military Identification
STEP 4 - TWO AUTHORIZATION LETTERS
Letter of Authorization will be issued when you come in person. If you are not coming in our office and doing it by mail. Please Call (415) 673-5000 for Authorization Letter.
STEP 5 - FLIGHT ITINERARY
Submit a copy of your computer-generated itinerary or your ticket from an airline, travel agency, or online booking agency showing your departure from the U.S. FAX or photocopies are acceptable.
If you do not have a Travel Itinerary or ticket Please call: (415) 673-5000
STEP 6 - PASSPORT PHOTOS
PASSPORT PHOTO SERVICES AVAILABLE IN OUR OFFICE LOCATION
Must be 2x2in on a white background (Recent Photo within one month)
You will be required to submit two (2) identical passport photographs. Photographs must be taken by a passport photographer. Home made photos are not acceptable and most often cause a delay in passport issuance.
STEP 7 - SERVICE ORDER FORM
You must include one completed order form with your documents.
STEP 8 - POST OFFICE
An appearance at the Passport Acceptance Office is required and a mandatory step of your passport order.
Sealed Envelope Requirements:
When you arrive at the post office, you will want to be sure to bring all of the requirements listed above. The passport agent or specialist will then take your DS-11 and have you do an Oath &Signature which verifies your identity. He/She will also complete the bottom portion of the last page of your DS-11 application.
Once he/she has completed this step, he/she will take the remainder of your documentation and seal it inside of a US Postal envelope that they will provide for you. They will seal it shut with tape and then stamp it with official US postal stamps.
(ONCE YOUR ENVELOPE IS SEALED, YOU MUST NOT OPEN IT. IF YOU OPEN IT, IT WILL BE NULL AND VOID AND SENT BACK TO YOU UNPROCESSED)